My Ideal Book Boyfriend: William Herondale

I confess, I've probably crushed on 90% of the male leads in the books I've read. I can't help it. They are perfect, yet not too perfect so they don't feel fake. There is just something about them that desensitizes you to guys that actually exist around you so that when you meet real people, you're always just a little disappointed that they're not the replica of your ideal book boyfriend. 

With the sheer number of perfect guys in YA, it's almost a crime to have a favourite. How can one manage that?! I ask myself the same question but somehow I think that I have found the perfect book boyfriend.

William Owen Herondale

Gwilym Owain Herondale
Half Mundane (Welsh) and Half Nephilim
Born: 1861
The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

From the start, I was a fan of Will, though I admit it was a tough choice as Jem was an angel. However, there was something in Will that always caught my attention. Maybe it was his "bad boy" nature, or the fact that he seemed so helpless; what ever it was, he stuck.

There aren't many characters that I can describe after reading the book and that's simply because I ignore the book and form an ideal image in my own head. Imagine my surprise when they kept talking about having Danila Kozlovsky, the actor playing Dimitri Belikov in the Vampire Academy movie, grow his hair out. What? Dimitri has long hair?

This shock came because I'm not too into long hair on guys. Ideally, I imagine guys having some nice, short hairstyle. It's completely my preference and I throw it into my reads. Will was different in that, I didn't have to do this as he hit the nail on the head of my ideal picture each time.
  • Dark hair
  • Blue eyes
  • Chiseled chin (ok I'm making this one up; I just like how that sounds...)
  • Bilingual (Welsh is so cool!)

Imagine Nicholas Hoult in the Victorian Era!

Like he isn't perfect enough, Will reads books! He quotes books as well, something I can never accomplish. Some of my favourite scenes in Infernal Devices were when Will and Tessa would spend time reading together. This mundane, simple task was so fascinating to read. Maybe it's because I don't know many guys in real life who read but this filled that gap. Will also made me a Dickens fan though I've never read his books and don't even think they're my cup of tea. Either way, if I do pick up a Charles Dickens book, I'll end up stopping to go search out Will's favourite parts.

There are so many more lovable elements to William Herondale. He has universal appeal. We all love guys who are, honest, loyal, loving, and strong. Not to mention, funny; his jokes are the kind to send me keeling and who doesn't love a man who can make you smile?

Will Moments:


  • “My name is Herondale," the boy said cheerfully. "William Herondale, but everyone calls me Will. Is this really your room? Not very nice, is it?" He wandered toward the window, pausing to examine the stacks of books on her bedside table, and then the bed itself. He waved a hand at the ropes. "Do you often sleep tied to the bed?” -Clockwork Angel
  • “It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them.” -Clockwork Prince
  • “Ah,” said a voice from the doorway, “having your annual ‘everyone thinks Will is a lunatic’ meeting, are you? 
    “It’s biannual,” said Jem. “And no, this is not that meeting.” -Clockwork Prince
  • “They’re not hideous,” said Tessa.
    Will blinked at her. “What?”
    “Gideon and Gabriel,” said Tessa. “They’re really quite good-looking, not hideous at all.”
    “I spoke,” said Will, in sepulchral tones, “of the pitch-black inner depths of their souls.”
    Tessa snorted. “And what color do you suppose the inner depths of your soul are, Will Herondale?”
    “Mauve,” said Will.”  - Clockwork Prince
  • “And to the devil with it if she is!" said the Consul. "One girl, who is not Nephilim, is not, cannot, be our priority."
    "She is my priority!" Will shouted.”  - Clockwork Princess
  • “I'm afraid to answer that. I've heard that when I speak, it makes American women wish to strike me with umbrellas.” -Clockwork Princess

Who, if anyone specific, is your ideal book boyfriend?

-MARI

3 comments:

  1. I cannot simply only choose just one but Will and Jem are both runner ups! Cameron Hamilton from Wait for You is probably my top book boyfriend. I don't even really remember how he's describe in the books. But I imagine him blond and green blue eyed. For all I know, JLA described him as a brunette. I love Will too because of his dark hair and light eyes. I have a strong preference towards short hair too. And Jem is a mixie.. Nothing can go wrong with that! After his hair turned back to black, I just realized that I would imagine him like the figure skater Patrick Chan. Lol, I think I rambled too much; sorry! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love that you brought up Patrick Chan, P.E. and I are big fans of his. I think I tend to ignore character descriptions in books because I like to imagine myself as the characters and so the guys always end up looking like my own ideal type. :) Thanks for your awesome comment!

      -Mari

      Delete
  2. Directorate of Government Examinations Board is Responsible for Promotion and Development of Secondary Education in Tamil Nadu State, TN DGE is a Government Agency is the Organization for Implementation of Secondary School Leaving Certificate (commonly referred to as SSLC)in the State of TamilNadu, SSLC is a Certification Obtained by a Tamil Nadu SSLC Textbook 2021-2022 Student on Successful Completion of an Examination at the end of Study at the Secondary Schooling Level in DGE Conducts SSLC Examination Month March 2021, Tamil Nadu SSLC Books 2021 in Government Schools Free Distribution for Students Education Purpose, Therefore TN1 0th Textbooks 2021 include All the Subject School Education Department of Tamil Nadu.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?