The Heroes of the Colosseum: Gladiators

I feel like a broken record always citing my love of history as a reason behind my interest in historical fiction. But there is so much more to historical fiction than just history. Sure there are the nobles: kings, knights, queens. But it's the infamous that attract me, and what is better than a gladiator?


I'm currently reading Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn, an adult historical fiction that revolves around a Jewish slave girl and a Britannic gladiator. What an interesting match up, it's heartbreaking no less.

Rome was an important stepping stone in humanity's past and their ingenious inventions are things to be admired. But like most early humans, they were a savage and tough people. I don't know how else to describe a population who spent their Sundays watching men and women being skinned by vicious animals and cheering for their downfall.


However, that was the way of life in ancient Rome and a well documented one as well. Many know of the Romans and their accomplishments. We know of crazy Nero who played his lyre while Rome burned or of Caligula who despised the Senate so much he named his favourite horse a senator. No doubt they were ridiculous leaders but how about the people below them? The gladiators forced to put down their lives for their entertainment?

Honestly, it was probably a horrible fate and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but like other not too noble occupations like: assassins (Assassin Creed) and thieves (Robin Hood), gladiators are romanticized and incredibly interesting to read about.

  • They know any fight can be their last.
  • They are tough men and women from across the world.
  • They wish for a rudius, an Emperor's grant of freedom.
  • They are the object of many's fancy.
  • But, they are slaves (not all).
  • Barbarians


It's a mystery how they managed to live and how the men and women that loved them coped after their death.

I've just started to make a dent in Mistress of Rome but gladiators seem to be the super stars of the Romans. They were slaves whose lives were forfeit in the Colosseum but outside they were peppered with noble women, fans and graffiti.

It's kind of sad that I have to travel outside the YA genre to find a book that interested me and captured Rome in a realistic and detailed fashion. There are definitely a fantastic bunch of YA historical fiction authors who do this phenomenally but none to my knowledge who wrote about gladiators. Wouldn't it be a great new craze? Vamps, werewolves, angels, zombies to gladiators!


What do you think of gladiators? 


-Mari

8 comments:

  1. Ok, first of all, Jon Snow as a gladiator?? Where?! What?!
    And yeah, gladiators are very romantizied because even if the ones that got famous got a lot of attention, they were still slaves, treated like so and could lose the favour of the public in the next fight and end up dead.
    I find ancient Greece and Rome very interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look up the movie Pompeii. It's pretty recent and I recommend it!
      Exactly, its fascinating and horrifying. The Romans were very unsympathetic as they cheered for the gladiator's victory one moment and downfall the next.

      -Mari

      Delete
  2. Great post, PE. If we're talking about affinities to certain types of heroes and anti-heroes alike, I have a soft spot for soldiers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soldiers! Definitely. I think I fawned over those a little too much last year with my The Bronze Horseman obsession.

      -Mari

      Delete
  3. I know your feels, dude. I'd love to read more gladiator stories, but there just isn't really much of it in Young Adult literature (heck, I'm not even sure if there really is one haha). I'm so tired of seeing the old formulaic formulas being released every year, and I keep hoping we get something new and out of the box. I know research's a pain, but it would be so fulfilling in the end if one can deliver something refreshing and well-researched. Is it too much to hope for? :(

    Faye @ The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's too much to hope for. YA tends to be very mainstream and so a lot of the books that come out are about the topic that is "in" at that time. Hopefully, this'll change as the genre expands even more and we can get some more gladiators to feed our cravings :)

      -Mari

      Delete
  4. Super interesting topic Mari, I think gladiators and ancient Rome in general is really fascinating. I love all of those movies set in that period, Troy is one of my favourites! Gladiators themselves are kind of like athletes in our day aren't they? Celebrated, kind of untouchable and victorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gladiators are indeed very much like our athletes but lucky for out athletes we don't cheer for their downfall (at least not for the guys on 'our' team :P)

      -Mari

      Delete

What do you think?