Outlander- Diana Gabaldon (Outlander #1)
Age Group: Adult
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.
Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.
- -Time travel done right: I am very cautious to time travel because albite liking history, I don't much like the integration of the modern with the old. But with this book both periods are history at this point. Makes for a fantastic read.
- -Scotland. The visuals, the brilliance, the gallantry, the rudimentary stable talk, and the kilts... Who can forget the kilts.
- -Scottish men. "You are safe," he said firmly. "You have my name and my family, my clan, and if necessary, the protection of my body as well. "
- -Political Intrigue. The story moves from post-WW2 to 1740s Scotland in the middle of the battle for Scotland.
- -Jamie Fraser -- "Je Suis Pres!" --- Swoon
- -Phenomenal leading lady, Clare Randall.
- -Because I say so?
- -Because you are missing out on life without having read it.
- -Because I'm dying to share it with people.
- -Because... please?
- -Ohh also Sam Hueghen is hot.. there that should do it. Should've started with that.