DNF MiniReview: The Kiss of Deception

Author: Mary E. Pearson
Date of Publication: July 8, 2014
Pages: 492
Source: Library
A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.
Review:
I’ve had quite a love and hate relationship with this one. At first impression I didn’t think it was my type of book, but after reading some positive reviews I started to reconsider. See the premise is everything I could ever want in a book, but once you’ve read enough book that you can compare ways a story can go wrongly, one become a little cautious. That’s what happened here.

I only got around 30% through this book when I could not see myself being able to finish it. I read Mary E. Pearson’s The Scribbler of Dreams in the 7th grade and it was one of my first YA reads. She is a great writer but I couldn’t see that translate well to a fantasy read such as this one. Everything felt unrealistic and weak. The initial chapters were to quick to jump from scene to scene without giving much information or explanation. I was quite annoyed at Princess Lia's decision to just up and leave “all of a sudden” after planning but not really planning for weeks and then dragging her loyal servant on the perfect, obstacle free escape.

My second problem was the prince and the assassin. Too quick to trust, too quick to talk. Both were so flat. I realize I should give it more time for development but in that first 100 or so pages, so much had happened but none of it was development. I didn’t like how the assassin wasn’t really an assassin in the way he acted. His “I’m scary and broody” persona bothered me as it had no real proof to it. He tells us that he scary but he can't deliver at all. Instead he just stares dumbfounded at a fool of a princess. I don't see what makes him hesitate. As for the prince, he just pined and then said he was thankful she ran away from the wedding and then pined some more.

Ughh.. I’m frustrated by this book. Many aspects scratched me the wrong way and when it comes down to it, I know this isn’t for me. I’ve over analyzed it and quite certainly killed any joy it could present me. I’ll pass on this one. I hope everyone else has better luck. Take it with a grain of salt and just enjoy the story, don’t think over it all too much.

-Mari

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest review! I've been meaning to pick this one up based on all of the positive reviews I've read, but your review provides a great balance to the positive. I think that's pretty realistic, and it helps me approach a book with appropriate expectations, which I always appreciate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome. I also picked this one up because of the great things I heard but it doesn't always work out. I hope you enjoy it.

      -Mari

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I'm so sorry you didn't love it. I've heard so many good reviews about this one! I really want to read, but I think I'll take it easy!
    Great review, Mari!

    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just wasn't my cup of tea. Best of luck :)

      -Mari

      Delete
  3. I really didn't enjoy this book either, Mari. There were many elements that frustrate me and as horrible as this may sound, I just don't get the hype over this book. When the world building wasn't working for me, I thought perhaps the romance would be good, but ugh. It was so boring and flat. And the Prince and the Assassin were jokes of characters. I'm sorry this was a disappointment. I hope you read something better next! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, that synopsis sounded quite epic. I was also quite intrigued by the assassin, prince, princess triangle but the execution didn't come to par. It's too bad.

      -Mari

      Delete
  4. First, that love triangle would annoy me to no end. I'm so glad that I have not bought this book. I'm keeping away, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I almost bought this one. I'm quite picky with my love triangles as they are hard to get right so I was a little cautious from the beginning.

      -Mari

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear that you didn't like this one. I can see where you're coming from, though. I wasn't sold right from the beginning either, and it took me a while to fall in love with it and let it sink it.

    Emily @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stuck through it and ended up enjoying it. For me that just wasn't a possibility.

      -Mari

      Delete

What do you think?