Bookish Vacations: Anna and the French Kiss




Have you ever read a book and felt like you were there? Across the ocean, on an ancient bridge surrounded by foreign scents and languages; engrossed in a culture different from yours, and basking in the sense of adventure. 

Reading tends to do that; whisk you away and introduce you to the most beautiful things. I've experienced this and every time I make a mental note to hopefully, sometime in my life, visit that place that sounded so fascinating or that my favourite characters really enjoyed. 

The first place that pops into my head is always Shakespeare and Company from Anna and the French Kiss

This antique bookstore is in Paris, France right on the river and across from Notre Dame. I was taken after the words Paris, no need to add the Seine and Notre Dame, I’m already there!


Interestingly, Shakespeare and Company actually served as an artist reprieve in Paris. The bookstore was first opened in the 1920s by an American and it was where authors like Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote their books. However, it closed due to WWII and never reopened. In the 50s, another bookstore was opened and dedicated to it. This one stands to this day and it continues to be overflowing and cozy.


I would love to go for a scavenger hunt in there. Some fascinating books are sure to be found. Also the fact that this place has been left untouched, in virtually the same state it was 50 years ago is fascinating. We readers always read about those scenic little bookstores tucked away from sight; well here it is the real thing. Also, the fact that it's an english bookstore in Paris doesn't hurt either!

Sometimes one needs to go to places other than the usual tourists attractions in order to get the full taste of a foreign place. What better than a bookstore an ocean away housings thousands of pages of culture and adventure?

-MARI


10 comments:

  1. Speaking of Bookish Vacation reads, have you read Ever After by Samantha Sotto? Gawd. She took me everywhere! Even Boracay. :) You should check it out. It has such a great immortal romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! I've never heard of it *whips out google machine* but it looks awesome. Also, I see what you mean, definitely my type of read. Thanks for the rec!

      -Mari

      Delete
  2. Stephanie Perkins' stories always have such incredible settings whether they are overseas or on the other side of the country. I loved the book store scene from AatFK, and I like it even more now because I didn't really know it was a real store, much less one (or a replica of one) with so much history. I would certainly love to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, same here. I was introduced to it by watching some european youtube book vloggers visit the store. I love when authors choose real places, it brings the book to life.

      -Mari

      Delete
  3. Anna and the French Kiss! <33 Shakespeare and Co!!! <3 And I totally forgot to visit it when I was in Paris. Arggg, I'm pretty sure that I was THIS close to it....so yeah, next time! definitely! :) Because I need to have a book with their stamp in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's too bad, but next time! I have yet to go to Paris so I'm making mental lists of all the places I want to visit.

      -Mari

      Delete
  4. Goodness, Paris is just an amazing place in itself! I loved loved that bookstore even if I didn't really commit the name to memory... I think I was too blown away by the place itself!
    I so want to take the bf to that bookstore and to Paris too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many places in Paris so it's easy to forget the little book store but I think it would be an awesome place to visit!

      -Mari

      Delete
  5. Oh, I want to go there so badly! It looks so cozy:) Reading about Paris makes me want to go there so bad. I've been once and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to visit Shakespeare and company :D

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?