The Perception Project: Day 3



The Perception Project is a series of posts on The Sirenic Codex and Pass the Chiclets with the purpose of demonstrating the differences in perception. As bloggers, we know that everyone has subjective tastes but to what extents? We'll look at that throughout the week. There will be three posts here and three on Eden's blog, and every post will feature a label and a cover we think matches the label (so we're only picking based on the visuals, not the content). We'll write a little about our choices, and you can chime in the comments, or pick your own covers.

The first label is "Happy"


P.E.'s Pick

This was an impossibly hard pick. I never realized how dramatic or depressed the covers for books I read are until I had to pick a happy cover. I went with a book I've never read. I need more happy books. Anyway, there's sun, and there's love, and they're on some cute bridge which seems scenic so I'd consider this a happy cover.





Mari's Pick

This is a tough one, but I think Along for the Ride's cover embodies happy quite well. A bicycle, pretty polka dotted pink dress, sandy beaches and welcome company. This cover just screams happy summer times.


Eden's Pick

It seems like there hasn't been this clean yet fun a YA cover in ages. The blocky lettering, bright colours and paper cut-outs perk me up instantly; the whole cover feels like a well-crafted middle school diorama-type project.



The next label is "Frightening"


Mari's Pick

Is it just me or does she looks like she is being choked by ambiguous manicured hands. This one sends chills down my spine. As a kid I watched a show where there was this murderer and she dressed up with a white sheet over her body and murdered people. This one looks too similar and that creepy face poking out under the sheet. I think I’ve made my case.

Eden's Pick 

Okay, the bullet holes are just plain intimidating. Add in the eerie blue-tinged forest with light creating shadows out of nothing, and this cover does its job selling itself as a thriller.


P.E.'s Pick

This cover is so gross and creepy. It's one of the only covers I try my best not to look at. It has weird, gross eyes even on the spine, end it's so disturbing that a kid in my class turned the cover away from him. I ended up leaving it face down because I'm slightly nauseous looking at it.


P.E.'s thoughts

Eden's pick for happy stands out. I love the colours of that cover, and for me it's just the word "dying" that throws me off a little. In my happy world, there isn't death. I've never seen Mari's Uglies cover before and that is definitely creepy. It fits the novel pretty well too!

Mari's thoughts

I find it interesting how the two of us chose summery, romantic couple covers as happy. All the happy covers also feature daytime and the sun. So bright and in love = happy. As for scary, I agree with all three.

Make sure to check out the second part on Eden's blog, Pass the Chiclets!

4 comments:

  1. Ha! There couldn't be a more frightening cover than Rot and Ruin. Great choices, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. It's one of those memorable ones aswell.

      -Mari

      Delete
  2. Heh, I totally expected a bit of sun & couples on the happy covers! And for frightening, it's interesting how we chose different aspects of the word--Mari's is chilling, my pick is intimidating and PE's is creepy. Fascinating how there are all these different facets to a single label!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we were quite predictable with the happy covers. But, the frightening covers showed some great differences, as you pointed out.

      -Mari

      Delete

What do you think?