The Weekly Progress: What I Want Edition


The Weekly Progress is a type of wrap up post that happens every Sunday at The Sirenic Codex looking on the week that was.

I'll go straight to the book stuff!

Books Read



It's weird because it feels like it's been forever since I read Reality Boy, even when I read it last Sunday. I thought it was okay, but not really my type. Otherbound was pretty good, but the beginning was stronger than the end, imo. Black City... welp. Of all the books I read, Pointe was by far the best. It dealt with a lot of issues fairly well. Most importantly, it established a pretty strong emotional connection. Btw, I love my mish-mash of genres. 

Currently Reading


I don't actually know much about Hillary Clinton seeing as I'm Canadian and don't pay much attention to US Politics. I'm really a beginner in trying to learn more about politics, but I wanted to read this book because the cover is fabulous, and I kind of wanted an intro into the world of politics and didn't know where to start, so I chose to start with a powerful woman. There's also some story that may or not be true circulating at my old high school that Hillary Clinton visited it as it is the most diverse school in Ottawa, and was shocked to see kids from so many different countries that are at war just coexisting and even being friends. Politics really didn't matter that much at my school. 

Still, HRC is heavy and not very readable (I can't get past two chapters at a time) so I'll be starting The 5th Wave, which I have very high hopes for, and reading them at the same time.  

On the Blog

Pretty good blog week. Mari and I were both active, and are trying to be more social with everyone while we have the time. 

The week started with my review of Rose Under Fire, which I thought had a very powerful message. 

Mari picked Adrenaline Crush as her WoW. 

She then reviewed Take Me On, and it sounds really good. 

I was hoping to have this post ready for Canada Day, but life was busy in June so it actually got posted 20 days later. Not bad! Three picks from CanLit.

Then, I reviewed The Chaos of Stars. Can't say I liked it. :( 

So, we had a pretty good week in terms of reviews. We also started an instagram (thesireniccodex) and I think it's an amazing tool. I use it to highlight what I'm reading, what I see other people reading, and if there's something funny in the text I can now show it to everybody. 

The Week That Was

Over the latter part of the week, I've been thinking a lot about the world and what I want to do in it. I'm very interested in foreign relations (hence the HRC book) and this is something I'm trying to figure out if I want to do more with or not. 

I think a lot of it stems from paying such close attention to what's happening in Palestine and Israel. Mari and I are both passionate about it, and although we don't always agree about what should be done, we can communicate and discuss without attacking each other. I'm just against the violence, and we throw this word around too much, but it's heartbreaking to hear about what's happening to innocent civilians. Anyway, I'm not going to get into controversial politics on our book blog, but it's something I want to learn more about, and it's what has been on my mind. 

Song of the Week

This song does an incredible job of going from these really sweet, quiet moments to this explosive choruses. It's a bit of an organized chaotic song, the type that has so many sounds going on that it kind of engrosses you. I love the vocals, wow, they gave me chills. I love how low it goes, then the melody is pretty great too. It has a nice electronic sound and it's almost too much, but it ends up being okay. 



Enjoy your week!


-P.E.

0 comments:

What do you think?