Thursday Thoughts: On Teasers, Book Clubs, and Ethics

This is a new feature that will be looking at blogging, books, and anything of any relevance to the YA Blogosphere in short form. It's meant to start a discussion by offering quick thoughts from Mari and P.E. on a variety of topics. 

All or Nothing

by P.E. 
I've been seeing publishers post samples to their books and to put it simply, I'm wondering if there is actual interest for that sort of thing? I don't like reading samples because I would rather read the book all at once, but I suppose for some people, samples help them become much more excited for a book. I also think that in some weird way, teasers are spoilers for me because I don't like doing anything twice. Do you like teasers? 

I'm Not A Book Club Person

by P.E.
I don't know what this says about me, but I've never been someone that likes book clubs. Maybe it's my inner rebel that can't bear the idea of a reading schedule. I can't prolong my reading. Most books are read in massive chunks, so unless it's for school and I have an educational read with lots of topics, I don't like forcing myself to slow down. It's strange because I'm pretty well known as a bookworm at my school and I've been a part of book club ever there: Harry Potter book club, and that was only because I thought the teacher was great and I wanted to go on a field trip to watch the Deathly Hallows. Mari on the other hand has joined lots of book clubs.

Is It Ethical?

by Mari
I've always heard and have preached that reading does no harm and I like to believe that, however sometimes I wonder if that statement is 100% true. Recently, I've been reading Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman, a pre-WWII novel. It contains a very close view of Hitler, his regime, and his book. There are some horrendous quotes as well that makes a reader wonder what else the man had written. Despite my curiosity there is a sense of ethics? that keeps me from buy/borrowing this book. Just searching for Mein Kampf at Chapters made me nervous and uncomfortable. Is it ethical to read a book written by such a horrible person even if your intentions are pure. In a way, will I be supporting him and his crimes?



-P.E. AND MARI

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, these topics are fascinating. Personally, I don't have any interest in samples either, because like you PE I would rather read the whole book at once, but I have heard people say that a sample whetted their apetite enough to buy/pre-order a book. And the ethics thing is a whole mess in my mind that I haven't figured out yet, haha. Like with the whole feminism thing with September Girls -- is it okay for an author to present a mindset/perspective that has prejudice without deconstructing it? I'll have to think more about it. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To the latter part of your comment, my initial reaction is yes. There are a lot of different people out there and there are people I will disagree with and think are disgusting jerks. They will have outdated, awful opinions, and I guess my thing is that I don't want to read about one type of people. If the author doesn't cheapen the prejudice (so it's not just for shock factor), if it's something that demonstrates the world someone grew up in, I think I'm okay with that, only because that reflects reality.

      I won't absolve people of their prejudices, but there are people I know who have had lives that have predisposed them to a certain way of thinking that is not acceptable, but that doesn't make them bad people. It's something they grew up with that they won't act on, but it affects their thinking, and it's not right, but people aren't perfect. I guess it's a very fine line and there's no certain rule, except that it's something to be handled delicately.

      Books like September Girls, which I haven't read, are interesting to me. I don't know if I'll read it because I've read too many reviews and have thus "spoiled' myself out of it. In general though, I believe it isn't my place to say what's okay for an author to write. They'll write what they want, publishers will publish it if they want, and as a reader, my only choice is whether I want to read that book, and that's the influence I have: my buying power.

      I don't even know what I'm trying to say at this point, so great comment!

      -P.E.

      Delete
  2. I think a sample might allow someone to check out a book to see if they're going to be interested in it, but I agree that I'm not interested in reading a long sample.

    I've never really joined a book club - maybe because I don't want to feel "forced" to read certain books. I'd much rather choose for myself!

    I can see what you mean about feeling guilty about wanting to read Hitler's book out of curiosity. I remember being curious about it when I read Prisoner of Night and Fog too. I don't think there's anything wrong with reading it - it's not like you're going to be swayed by his views and it would definitely give you more of a perspective on the war and what really drove it. That seems like a good thing. But I do understand how you'd feel weird getting it because you might feel like people would think you're getting it for the wrong reasons. Maybe you could get it at your local library if you don't want to support its sale - mine has it.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the first two points, I totally agree with you. I barely even review that many books because I want to choose for myself!

      I think that reading books like Mein Kampf are more okay now than when they were first published because it's not like the money is supporting Hitler? I've heard that its proceeds go towards charity, which is totally awesome.

      -P.E.

      Delete
  3. Okay so first I love this new feature! Definitely looking forward to more of these! You guys also picked some really great topics to talk about.

    1. Personally I don't ever read teasers. Even if it's a book I'm super excited about like Isla. I just rather wait for the book to come out and read it all in one shot. And if I'm not already interested in the book, samples do nothing for me. Like I can't really ever tell whether or not I'd like a book just by a short snippet so you know, I don't know. It doesn't really matter to me either way.

    2. I was in a book club but we weren't so serious so it was almost like here is our book for the month and read if you want. Not to mention that we were horrible at picking dates. But I think book clubs are a great idea and if they would pick books that I personally really want to read really badly, then I would be like HECK YEAH. But of course that's not the way it works so I don't know how I feel about book clubs. I like the discussion and having fun but again, I'm bound to come across a book I just really couldn't give a shit about reading soooo I don't know how that would work. I can only skip so many times right?

    3. Okay this is really interesting. And I definitely understand feeling uncomfortable and maybe a bit guilty for even being curious but I don't think wanting to read and reading Mein Kampf has to say anything about your morals or mean that you're supporting him. Despite all its racism and general awfulness, I'm sure it will offer some insight into his life and the war and it was a rather influential piece of work at the time of the war for his supporters so I think that if you do want to grasp a deeper understanding of the war, then it might be a good idea to pick it up. And there's also that whole idea that reading about things like that, that are so horrible and teach such horrible horrible ideas can be a good tool to educate people about rights and genocide and etc etc. I don't know if I'm making any sense here? But basically I don't think it's bad to want to read it. This is a very touchy, controversial subject though so it's hard to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a teaser person either and I think the only time I would ever read one is when I request to read one from review requests. I think it's because I've been burned by books that were not written well at all, and now I want to read the first few chapters and if I notice any grammar/writing issues, I'll drop the book.

      For me, it's not even about choice. I just don't want to read in a schedule. I guess I'm going to hate university reading, lol.

      I definitely think you make sense. I want to read Mein Kampf just because I don't understand how someone's world view became so twisted. I think it's also important to humanize villains because people aren't born that way, and it's important to remember that I'm not a totally good person either. I'm capable of bad, and I need to stop myself from falling into that. So, yeah, I totally agree.

      -P.E.

      Delete

What do you think?